Sunday, January 17, 2010

Grandmas Secret

On the back of this document it reads:
"8 years old - 3rd grade Corvallis, Oregon Lincoln School
April 5- 1955 One of my treasures - Karen and her poem"

I am thankful that my grandmother saved this poem for me - it is now framed and hangs in my home.

Here are the words with spelling and punctuation unchanged:

Grandmas Secret

My Grandma Maysel's iris
Were the best I've ever seen,
With blooms so large and gracefull
And with leaves so broad and green

I asked her once the reason
Why her plants excelled the rest,
She rocked a little faster
As she smilingly confessed:

I have the roots divided
When the blooming season ends
And all my plants are strengthened
By the ones I give my friends."

I've often watched the proving
Of the words she spoke that day,
For what I have seems better
When I give a part away.

Karen Griggs"

It seems to me that this is quite an advanced poem for an 8 year old - I would guess that someones Mom helped her a little.

But - I do know from what my Mom has told me - I did learn that things seem better when you share them with others. I have throughout my life enjoyed sharing what I have with others. Momma told me that when I was a girl she would wonder, as she sent me off to summer camp, if I would come home with anything that I took with me,. I guess I often shared with my friends.

I'm thinking, however, that I learned this trait more from my Mom than my grandmother.

Happy Day - Karen





No comments:

Post a Comment