Sunday, January 17, 2010

Grandma Maysels Iris

(1954 Picture of myself, my two sisters and our Grandma Maysel Ellen Sanderson Richards b. 16 Feb 1893 Canyonville, Douglas, Oregon d. 6 Apr 1983 Dallas, Polk, Oregon at the Joe Fisher Ranch in Scappoose, Oregon. This picture, I am thinking, would have been taken during the time we were in Scappoose as we were moving from Halfway, Oregon to the Oregon State Experiment Station in Burns Oregon. The dresses were surely purchased for us by Grandma. Our Mom would have shampooed our hair and pinned pin curls in with bobby pins the night before).

Grandma Maysel started her iris collection during the early 1930's. The first she bought was a plain white iris. Most of her iris came from the Schriener's Iris Gardens in Brooks, Oregon. She took great care of them and always had each plant marked as to the correct name.

Although during her life she didn't own her own home until 1969 (except for the ranch in Salem for a few years in the late 50's) she always had an iris garden. When my sisters and I visited the Oregon State Experiment Station in Union, Oregon in the fall of 2008 we were impressed to see iris planted. It would be my guess that this is where she started her collection and that these iris we saw were a part of her collection.

I know that she told me that she had the men who worked at the Experiment Station help her with her iris.

My husband and I lived in Salem when our children were growing up. Grandma and Grandpa did also. On several occasions after putting flowers on the family graves at the City View Cemetery on Memorial Day we would stop for pancakes and then go out to Schreiner's to see the iris.

Although my collection is no longer with me - I love seeing some of them at my sister in laws in Beaverton!

Happy day - Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment