Sunday, January 31, 2010

1930 Birthday Party in Bozeman, Montana. Jean Ann in back row on left with head down - Eleanor in 4th from left front row. I would LOVE to have been at this party!!Erma Ruth Richards (b 15 Feb. 1906 Kalispell, Montana d 2 Feb 1972 Hawaii); Dale Everett Richards (14 November 1892 Devils Lake, North Dakota d 5 June 1993 Salem, Marion, Oregon); Jean Ann Richards Griggs (b 31 Jan. 1923 Lakeview, Lake, Oregon d 31 Jul. 1994 Salem, Marion, Oregon) in Salem, Oregon at the home of Margaret Isabelle Richards. Jean Ann was serving as a WAC in Washington, D.C.. Erma worked for General Electric as a Home Economist in Hawaii and her older sister Eva lived with and cared for their invalid mother. She also worked for the Oregon State Offices as a secretary in some department.


Jean Ann Richards with her horse. She was the Union County Princess of the Pendleton Roundup in 1941.

Grandpa Dick was SO proud of his Princess!

I don't know the exact date - would guess it is around 1936 or 1937. Jean Ann and Eleanor both entered their steers raised under their loving care (and supervision of their expert cattle raising dad) at the Oregon State Experiment Station in Union, Oregon. Jean Ann's was a Hereford and Eleanors an Angus. The won Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion respectively!
The P.I. (Pacific International Livestock Exposition) was held in Portland at what is now the Exposition Center in North Portland across from Jantzen Beach. Grandpa Dick became the manager in the 60's.
Grandma Maysel told me that on one of their trips from Union to Portland for the Expo. that they had saved Hollyhock seeds and she and the girls threw them out of the window of the car along the side of the road.
And the road they took was not the one we take now - but that old highway up to Crown Point (well worth the trip if one has time).
Another thought on the P.I.. Momma (Jean Ann) told of the time the family had traveled to the P.I. and were staying with her Grandmother Margaret Horne (I believe she was living in Portland at the time - but, possibly Salem) that during all of the business Grandmother had time to take her little granddaughter aside and teach her how to make deviled eggs. Momma always made the best deviled eggs - fun to think of the generations the have come from.
My middle son is our families "Deviled Egg" guy - as are his children and my second oldest grandson.



Mom was a Girl Scout all of her growing up and then encouraged us as we were involved during our growing up! Fun Adventures!! As we would walk along (she was always encouraging that) she taught us the Girl Scout Walk - which seems to be similar to how the current walking magazines encourage one to walk with greater benefit. We would walk 5 steps and run 5 steps and then repeat. I don't know if that was truly the Girl Scout Walk or the mother of 3 dawdling girls trying to get them to "move along". To my embarrassment she was sure I should wear the "lovely" girl scout oxfords when I was in 8th grade - horrid brown tie up leather shoes. All of my friends wore cute flats. One had an extra pair that she brought to school for me to change in to when I got there! I wonder if my Mom ever knew (probably - Mom's usually do).
1941 note to her Dad!

This picture hung in our Grandma Ruths (Leora Ruth Rollins Griggs b. 29 August 1899 Rye Valley, Baker, Oregon d 7 Jan 1972) bedroom in La Grande, Oregon. She told me the story - Mom was riding with Daddy(her son) and the hat fell off. Daddy rode behind her and picked it up!! I love that story!!

Grandpa Dick bought this car for his girls - Jean and Eleanor. They painted it up and had fun with it. Apparently it was often filled with friends!!

Back to Girl Scouts. I'm thinking that Eleanor is on the left, Jean Ann is the middle of the three girls on the right. They would ride their horses up to Catherine Creek outside of Union and pitch camp. Then, in the evening, their parents would drive up and bring homemade ice cream. I honestly don't think they had any leaders with them.

1938 Birthday Cake. Grandma Maysel always made Chocolate and covered it with 7 minute icing. Then - outside they would go for a picture. I just love Grandpa Dicks "goofing" around in this picture. I'm guessing that Momma has on a brand new dress made by her Mother in this picture. Grandma Maysel was always called "Mother" and Grandpa Dick was always "Dad".


1930 valentine to her Dad from Jean Ann



No comments:

Post a Comment