Monday, January 11, 2010

"Last Child in the Woods"

The man in the white shirt is my Great Grandfather Charles Bird Richards (b. 11 Jan 1857 Mexico, Oxford, Maine d. 16 May 1923 Salem, Marion, Or.) If I had to guess - I would say this picture was taken at some mountain in Montana. He moved his family from North Dakota to Kalispell, Montana and he lived most of the rest of his life there.

My oldest daughter recommended a book to me. The Title is: "Last Child In the Woods" by Richard Louv. His "passion" is to save our children from Nature Deficit Disorder".

Reading this book has given me the opportunity to realize how very lucky my husband and I were to have parents who valued letting us "grow up" outside! And, how lucky we were, to have lived in a much safer (or so it seemed) time!

I recommend this book highly....Karen

1 comment:

  1. I love this book and the stories you share of growing up!

    ReplyDelete