Monday, January 11, 2010

The original Granola Girl

Picture of my Mom (Jean Ann Richards Griggs b. 31 Jan 1923 d 31 Jul 1994)and my sisters at Mulnomah Falls, Oregon in the early 50's.

My Mom was, in my estimation, the original "granola girl"! She had my sisters and I outside more than in!

Our backyard in Halfway had the most "original" play set. She had Daddy help her build it - an A-frame structure with logs. It looked like a roof! There was a triangle opening at each end. They were connected with logs which were quite long. The logs had openings between them and we could climb up and down; spread blankets and sheets over them to make "forts" or "houses"; hang from our knees inside - it was great!

We had chickens and dogs and cats. During the summer we all slept in the screened in back porch.

When we lived in what we called "out in the country" Central Point we had 20 acres to run and play in....and sheep and calves. We had trees to climb and woodpiles to keep stacked! We had a big garden to tend. We had bikes to take us wherever we wanted to go - we just had to let momma know we were going. And, every summer, all of the beds were taken out to the yard and we slept outside....under the sky!

Then - we moved even further out - 5 miles out of Gold Hill up Sardine Creek - across a bridge and up the hill. I was in 7th grade. We lived in the woods - our closest neighbors a field away. One of my favorite things was the swing over the driveway that came up the hill to the house. I knew I could touch the sky!!

There was a hill to explore in the summer - and slide down when it snowed. We had animals -- rabbits and a cow, ducks and a dog. We could hike to town (and were encouraged to do so). We could swim in the creek (and were encouraged to do so). Life was grand!!

I'm thankful today for the growing up that I had! I wonder if the reader can even imagine what a change it was, as a senior in High School, to move from this life style into "town" in Shoshone, Idaho.



No comments:

Post a Comment