Sunday, September 26, 2010

Richards home on Lancaster Drive in Salem, OR

This is the home on the ranch that Grandma Maysel and Grandpa Dick owned on Lancaster Drive in Salem, OR. The back of the picture says 1951. That would have been right after they finished at the Oxbow Ranch in Prarie City.
I don't think that they lived here until about 1957 or 1958 and then it was just for a short time as Grandpa went to work for the Pacific International livestock Exposition.
I do remember visiting them when they lived here. I remember all of the "green" colored pears grandma had in the basement.
I also remember the drive up one evening from Gold Hill, OR. We drove past Albany and the paper plant just smelled terrible. Funny thing to remember.
Grandma and Grandpa used this as a rental property for a number of years. I know that during my 4th grade year our family rented it. There was a lovely big barn, a chicken house, a dairy and the acerage (80 I believe) went from Lancaster drive down to what is I-5. At the time that entire situation was under construction. My sisters and I used to ride our bicycles around the clover leaf onto the highway going from Lancaster Drive up to the Detroit Lake Area while they were building it.
Grandpa did sell the farm - the reson - too rocky!! It became a very profitable Sand and Gravel firm and today the house still stands and serves as the Sand and Gravel office.

No comments:

Post a Comment