Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas 1944 Jean Ann Richards in Washington D.C.

Picture: taken in 1944 in Salem, Marion, Oregon of Jean Ann Richards Griggs b. 31 January 1923 Lakeview, Lake, Oregon - d 30 July 1994 Salem, Marion, Oregon

In 1944 Jean Ann was in the army and was stationed in Washington, D.C.. Following is a copy of the letter she sent to her parents Dick and Maysel Richards who were managing the Oxbow Ranch in Prairie City, Oregon and to her sister Eleanor (a student at Oregon State College).

In the letter there are two words you might not be familiar with. Lux is a type of powdered laundry soap. "Slug" is Jean Ann's nickname for Eleanor. Happy reading - Karen


27 Dec 44

Dearest Mother,
Dearest Dad,
Dearest Eleanor

The thermometer has dropped to 22 degrees, there is icy sleet outside, and it Rained for Christmas – but we had a few inches of snow three days before Christmas so it was all very good.

This year I did something pretty terrible. At least had I done it at home, it would have been terrible. Last year I saved all of my presents and opened them Christmas morning which was great – really great – but made me pretty homesick. So this year, having sworn Long ago not to get homesick and mope around again, I started opening you all too wonderful presents a whole week ahead of time – I saved one for each day and had a very good Christmas doing it that way.


I liked the boughs off of my little tree – we used it to decorate the barracks – the food, Mother was wonderful! We ate it at our barracks party. The Company Officers each ate two pieces of the gum drop things – they don’[t usually eat when they come down, so now you know how very, very much, we liked them all. I took the fruit cake to work and, Red, the Irishman, devoured it with the charming eager of hunger only a big Irishman can have.


And the magazine – the Horseman magazine - is something truly too good to be true. Back here when all one sees are things like the “new Yorker’ its a downright pleasure to look at good horses once a month.

And slug, I sure like this paper. Its so much fun to write on that I’m going to double my production and send off twice as many letters. I specially like the envelopes with the three deer leaping over the tent in which, undoubtedly, lies a hunter with a loaded rifle near his bunk. And most likely I’ll be sending back for a refill in not to long a time.


Are you afraid that I’ll lose everything that characterizes a “westerner” and come back saying “hoss” instead of sagebrush? Really, I’m not a bit convinced that life back here is worth copying or trying to live. It’s not a free and good life as out where the Columbia rolls, and its the army that has be back until our war is over. Then its Oregon for me – Oregon, our magic wonderland – Oregon, our superland, His blessings God has sent her!

The cards, slug, were super, too. I use them at a terrific rate, showing them to everyone. Thanks – thanks to you all and God willing, next year we’ll do it together once again!

Christmas day, right after work I went out to Edna and Terry’s. Stella was there from New Jersey and two soldiers – infantrymen – from the u.s.o. their nephew Elmer and a boy from LaGrande were coming because they had been stationed at ft. Mead, not far from here, but were shipped the day before, so Edna invited these other two boys. I took my red slacks and really relaxed, they even let me sleep four whole hours which was quite a treat. I never get enough sleep anymore – it’s terrific She had made Terry a Gingerbread house with real frosting for snow on the roof. That and two red candles and a big wreath of pine made the window look real, real, Christmasy.

Some day, either before you pack my books, or when you unpack them at the Oxbow, would you send my Zoology book – the one I used at La Grande? It’s green and is pretty much worn out looking on the inside, but it has some good chapters on human anatomy I need for Nurses Aid – thanks a lot – But promise not to unpack anything to send it, will you?

Fran gave me a beautiful book for Christmas – Its a Peter Pauper edition of Longfellow's“Song of Hiawatha” The cover has Indian designs on it and each page has on the margin a wood cut that is really beautiful.

Outside the windows there is a whole flock of Juncoes eating on the ground. I miss the birds at home. Hope I haven’t forgotten what they are by the time I come home again.

And Dad – this new saddle deal sounds to good to even half believe – doesn’t it, there’s never been a saddle I’ve enjoyed riding as thoroughly as that one of yours. Even when you would let me ride it to hold a cow you were milking out, or just for fun, was always a big thrill. Will the name plate go on your new saddle? Be sure and tell me all about it. I wish I could go over with you and help you pick it out. You have done, in such an excellent and efficient manner, your part in the execution of the extension service in Oregon, that those men who have given you the saddle probably can hardly find a way to express their appreciation – and thank you for helping so many of them find happiness and success in their work – Congratulations!


You have always told me – do a good job, whatever it is – Leave a good record behind – wherever it is. I hope, sincerely, that someday I’ll be able to achieve the ability to do that very thing as well as you have.


And now, when you launch efforts into the heart of the Angus cattle business, I know you’ll come out on top – there’s no doubt about. I’m proud of you.

We have two English Officers on the post. They call themselves Wallace and Phillip – It’s fun to hear them – “Say there Phillip – Phillip old chap, come here” –

We had Christmas trees in both mess halls – they beat up Lux and made snow for it – and a Christmas eve party in the Rec hall. I had K.P. the day after Christmas – Last year it was the day before-Next year – Let us pray that there will be no more army chows – no more war.

Once more, I am going to remind you to throw away all of my things that aren’t vital to any of our lives –

It’s almost New Years – and may this year be the one our hopes (?can’t read word) – may the expectant joys of Longing hearts come true –

Thanks again, for the good Christmas. I only wish all of the boys and girls in service away from home could have had as good a one.

Lots of Love to my Oxbow Family –

Jean


No comments:

Post a Comment