Thursday, December 24, 2009

the bride doll


(This is a picture of Me and My teacher at Central Point Elementary School in the spring of 1958 (6th grade). I made the skirt in 4-H. Looks like I just got to wear 1 of the "can can" slips that day to school....we owned several and the first one of us girls that got dressed got to wear the extras. The school room was painted that wonderful school green - I'm sure - and there would have been a picture of George Washington on the wall. We started each day with a prayer and with a flag salute.)

Christmas Eve 1957 we lived "out in the country" near Central Point, Oregon. I was 11 years old and just could hardly wait to open our presents.

Our tree - we had driven up in the woods and cut one down. It was decorated with Christmas Lights - the screw in colored bulbs and of course, my bubble lights! They had been a gift to me from Grandma Maysel and Grandpa Dick when I was in 1st grade I think. I could just sit by the tree for the longest time and watch those bubbles. I'm sure that we had ornaments on the tree - but I don't remember any in particular. I do remember hanging Christmas cards we received on the tree - and then there was the tinsel. Momma had such patience to let us do the hanging of the tinsel - I - in my exuberance to complete the task - had more of a "throwing it on - as much as I could at a time" approach which resulted in an amazing looking situation. I'm thinking my 2 sisters did it in much the same way.

There were never gifts under our tree - they always seemed to appear magically before it was time to unwrap them - but I did know that a box had arrived from Scappoose (where Grandma Maysel and Grandpa Dick lived on the Joe Fisher Ranch). Grandpa Dick always fixed the box - it was covered in brown paper and tied with string in very good knots. Then - he addressed it and drew wonderful pictures all over it.
I also knew that Grandma Maysel knew that I REALLY wanted a bride doll for Christmas - and I was just sure that it was in that box!

I don't remember really much else about the opening of gifts in 1957 - but, I do remember - that when that box from Scappoose was opened - I had a beautiful bride doll. Not the kind that you had to put on a shelf to look at - but the kind that I could dress and undress - - comb her hair and play with!!


I have always loved dolls - still do today!! I'm glad my grandma knew that and didn't think that a girl of 11 was too old to get one. Happy Christmas Eve - Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment