Sunday, December 20, 2009

Jean Griggs Mincemeat Cookies


Jean Ann Richards Griggs (born January 31, 1923 in Lakeview, Lake, Oregon) is shown here with her Dad - Dale Everett Richards at the Experiment Station in Union, Union, Oregon. Jean Ann is better known to me as Mom or Mommy or Momma. She is the grandmother of 17 and great grandmother of at least 33!!

My sister recently shared this story with me after discovering the recipe to our Moms Mincemeat Cookies (recipe follows):

MINCE MEAT COOKIES

On a trip from our home to or from BYU during the time I was attending(1965 - 1968) my sister and Mom stopped at the Texaco Station and Cafe in Strevell, Idaho and tasted these Mince Meat Cookies. They were so good that Mom asked for the recipe and the lady sent it to her in the mail. My sister has the original in her collection.

Blend:
1 scant cup sugar
1 scant cup Crisco
Add:
2 large eggs
1 soup spoon vanilla
1 cup none such mince meat
1 heaping teaspoon soda

Add enough flour to make a soft dough (not sticky). Place dough on greased cookie sheet by soup spoon and flatten with spoon dipped in water.

Bake at 400 degrees till brown. Cool and frost with powdered sugar icing.

Jeaneen Durfee
Texaco Station and Café
Strevell, Idaho

I have some mincemeat in the cupboard - I'm thinking I will make a batch tomorrow to share with family that we are going to visit this week as we deliver Christmas gifts - yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment