Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas 1952 Trip to Portland on train


Pictured are my 2 sisters and myself(middle girl) and our Daddy ( Edward Rex Griggs b. 8 Dec. 1920 Union, Union, Oregon d. 30 Oct. 1997 Salem, Marion, Oregon) at the Portland, Oregon Train Station just before Christmas 1952.

What a Christmas was ours in 1952. I would have been in the 1st Grade at Halfway Elementary School in Halfway, Baker County, Oregon.

What I remember most of that year is our train trip to Portland, Oregon. A great adventure for three little girls (I at 6 was the oldest) and their Mom and Dad.

We drove from Halfway to LaGrande and spent the night with our Grandpa Rex and Grandma Ruth. They took us to the train the next day. As we boarded the Porter handed my sisters and I each a really big bag of hard Christmas Candy. I can just imagine how pleased Momma was.

I can't remember sitting still much. I do remember Daddy walking us the length of the train - and the wonder of going from car to car and jumping over the couplers. I was sure I could probably fall right through!

Then there was the water jar with paper cups!! And the more we drank of the water the more often we got to use the bathroom - where the toilet just opened up to the track underneath - another curious situation!

When we arrived in Portland we were met by our Grandpa Dick and Grandma Maysel. The Portland Train Station is magnificent - I still marvel at it when I go inside.

As we drove to Scappoose through downtown Portland in their big black car I just looked and looked at all of the beautiful Christmas lights.

They drove us to the Joe Fisher Ranch where Grandpa Dick was the foreman. Grandma had Oyster Stew (of course) for dinner and Grandpa handed out "medicine" - those thin chocolate mints - yum!

After dinner we got all bundled up in our coats and went down the road to the barn to say goodnight to the animals...the horses and the cows. I got too taste the "beet pulp" - I loved the big sack of "beet pulp" Grandpa used to feed the cows. And then I liked to stand close as he poured molasses on the oats to give the horses. (Our oldest daughter is a firm believer in oatmeal for breakfast - she said that if grandpa's horses could eat it every day - so could she).

When we walked back to the house I got to ring the sleigh bells by the door. They were from Grandpa Dicks parents sleigh! Those bells are now at my house.

Then - in we went to find that Santa had been there!! Presents all over the floor. What a wonderful evening we spent opening our gifts and playing with each other.

I'm sure we did many other things on that visit - but the ride on the train; the evening in the barn and the surprise of Santa's early visit will, hopefully, always remain with me. Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment