Thursday, December 17, 2009

Grandma Ruth's Pie Crust

This picture is of my Dad - Edward Rex Griggs (born 8 December 1920 in Union, Union, Oregon) and his mother (my grandmother) Leora Ruth Rollins (born 29 August 1899 in Rye Valley, Baker, Oregon) at my Dad's graduation from Oregon State University in 1949. He graduated with 3 little girls - a degree in Agriculture Education and had a job waiting for him in Halfway, Oregon.

Legend had it - when I was a girl - that Grandma Ruth was the BEST cook in all of Union County. I loved her pies - she made them in 10 inch pie tins and when she cut them - they were cut into 4 pieces per tin!! You can imagine how the haying crew loved sitting at her table during haying season!

She gave me the recipe for her pie crust - it never fails!! Karen


FLAKY PIE CRUST

3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. Crisco
1 tsp. salt
5 1/2 tbsp. cold water
1 tsp. vinegar
1 egg, beaten

Mix first 3 ingredients then add the remaining ingredients.
Quickly turn work so that it turns into a ball.
Divide in half - roll out!

No comments:

Post a Comment