Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hot Cross Buns


Me on Christmas Morning 1968 in West Allis, Wisconsin

Shortly after this picture was taken Tom and I moved to Shorewood, Wisconsin. We found a "flat" close to the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee and not far from Lake Michigan. Tom had been laid off from Allis Chalmers where he worked as a Chemical Technician just before Christmas and decided to go back to school to earn a degree in Theater. I was working in the recreation department of a nursing home.

My sister Ruth had moved out from Idaho and was living with us . She had a job working as a secretary at a t.v. station and also did some modeling.

It was Easter and I was in the baking, plus Good Neighbor, mode. I made, for the first time ever, Hot Cross Buns. Wonderful yeast rolls with a cross of frosting on the top.

I took a pan down to our neighbors and knocked on the door. No one came to the door so I left them outside the door on the porch. The buns stayed and stayed there. No one took them in.

It was later I found that our neighbors were Jewish and that hot cross buns were NOT something they wished to have.

A learning experience.

So - enough Easter Stories for one day I am thinking - I need to go walk my dog! Karen



No comments:

Post a Comment