Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Sunday


Warren, Oregon 1953 my sisters and I with our Grandma Maysel at the Joe Fisher Hereford Ranch. Our Grandfather was the manager. Grandma's Iris collection.
These dresses look like dresses Grandma Maysel probably bought for us. They don't look homemade!
1953 my sisters and I (I'm the tall one in the middle) at our Grandma Ruth and Grandpa Rex's ranch on Geckler Lane in LaGrande, Oregon. Same dresses as above!
1954 Salem, Oregon My sisters and I and new chicks!
Align CenterThe new chicks under the heat lamp. They lived awhile in our kitchen.

It is April 3, 2010. Tomorrow is Easter Sunday - the celebration of the possibility of eternal life for each of us because of the Saviors sacrifice and for the fact that He was able to rise from the tomb. I am so thankful for that!!

In my growing up - and in my life as an adult - that has always been central to the holiday for me!

But, I am thankful also, for the traditions - the dressing up, the baby chicks and eggs and bunnies - all the signs of spring - of beginning! Celebrations of life!!

One of my clearest memories of Easter was a rainy Easter morning in Central Point - it would have been in about 1956. We were up early to go to an Easter Sunrise Service. We were members of a Pentecostal type of Church.

As we were getting ready to go the television was on and the music was by a wonderful choir called The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

It is interesting to me that I have that clear memory as now I am a member of the LDS Church and I start every Sunday morning listening to that choir!

I bought whisks yesterday. I read in the April Issue of Family Fun Magazine that one can put an egg in a whisk and it is a really easy way to dip the eggs in the dye.

I bought vinegar and Easter Egg dye and someone will get to dye eggs with me today! Even at 63 I love coloring on them with crayon and dipping them in the dye! Mine usually are covered with daisies.

I think of those days so long ago - taking my Saturday night bath - sitting on the floor by the couch with mama covering my head in pin curls - tying a scarf around them and then sleeping all night on those hard lumps!

I think of years later when I was a young Mom - getting Easter clothes ready for each of my 5 children - usually home made! I loved making their clothes! I remember the year of Cabbage Patch dolls. I made my daughters dresses for themselves and their dolls to match!

I remember making arrangements with the Easter Bunny so that he would arrive at our home on Saturday morning instead of Sunday. Then we would have ALL DAY to get that sugar out of our systems so that we could sit still at Church. I always loved it when he left licorice jelly beans!

And so - as I have this remembering time - I am SO thankful that most of all that I do remember that I am a Child of God and that because of Easter and our Savior Jesus Christ I can look forward to living with Him and with my family forever! Happy Easter - Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment