Saturday, March 20, 2010

Smokey The Bear

1957 Central Point, Oregon Karen with her 4-H lamb

In 1957 - 1958 my mom got a bunch of posters of Smokey Bear for my sisters and I to color - "Only YOU can prevent Forest Fires."

We then were sent out into the neighborhood to post them on telephone poles.

I felt very patriotic about this and I had the feeling that every child in America was doing their part to keep America Green!

About 4 years ago my "vision" of all of the children in America posting signs about Smokey Bear in their neighborhoods was shattered - I was sharing this experience with a friend about my age and he had never heard of it!

But - HURRY!! My faith in Smokey Bear and America's children has been restored. At a day camp meeting Wednesday the day camp director was sharing that she knew all 4 verses of Smokey the Bear (who doesn't?)! And so - I became brave - and asked if her mother had her color posters and put them up in her neighborhood!

But - of course she had!

Hurray for Mothers! Hurray for Smokey Bear! And "HURRAY FOR PROJECTS THAT KEEP KIDS BUSY" on hot summer days! Karen

"With a rangers hat and shovel - and a pair of dungarees......"


No comments:

Post a Comment