Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cora Ann Butler and Frederick Thomas Sanderson



Cora Ann Butler(b. 3 January 1874 Springfield, Illinois d. 10 March 1951 John Day, Or) and Frederick Thomas Sanderson (b. 23 July 1862 Russian River, Ca d. 29 July 1912 Ashland, Or)
Parents of:
Maysel Ellen Sanderson (b. 16 Feb. 1893 Canyonville, Or. d 6 April 1986 McMinnville, Oregon)
Lawrence Frederick Sanderson( b. 12 Dec 1897 Riddle, Or d21 March 1860 Berkley, Ca.)
Dorothy Gertrude Sanderson (b. 19 Nov 1901 Coquille, Or d. 14 Apr. 1948 Brookings, Or)

Cora and Frederick were my great grandparents. I know that Frederick was quite the entrepreneur. He and his brother had a general store in Coquille, Oregon. They later started one in Klamath Falls where he also owned the city swimming pool.

He was the mayor of Klamath Falls for a time. He died in Ashland of Appendicitis.

My Great Grandma Cora I do remember slightly. She lived with my Grandma Maysel and Grandpa Dick at the Oxbow Ranch when I was a little girl. She was quite the quilter and I slept under her wool quilts every night when I went to bed.

I remember her as tall and slight wearing black. I'm not sure if this is an accurate memory - but, it is the one I have.

One story Grandma Maysel loved to tell. When the family moved to Klamath Falls (around 1905) Grandpa Sanderson had heard about this place called Crater Lake. He loaded the family in the wagon along with camping supplies - hitched up the horses and headed out.

When they got to the base of the rim he hiked up to the top. When he looked over the edge he deemed it too dangerous for his family. He hiked back to the wagon and they set up camp. They spent the night in the meadow at the base of the rim and returned home. The family didn't get a chance to see the lake.

About 10 years later Grandma Maysel and her "beau" Dick Richards returned to Crater Lake. On this visit the young lovers hiked got to the rim and hiked the trail down to the lake where they took a boat to Wizard Island. They put their names on a piece of paper which they put in a bottle and left in the cone. I'm thinking they also went swimming - but, that could just be wishful thinking to make the story more romantic!

Frederick was the Great Grandson of Alexander Hamilton Willard of the Lewis and Clark Expedition!




No comments:

Post a Comment