Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine made by Leora Ruth Rollins for Mama

It is Valentines day 2010 and I wanted to share the valentine made by my Grandma Ruth for her "mama" in what I am guessing would have been about 1908 - when she would have been learning cursive. As you scroll down you will see the poem.
Mary Jane (Jennie) Bennett Rollins was born 2 October 1860 in Indianapolis, Johnson, Indiana. She is my Great Grandmother - the mother of my dear Grandma Ruth whom I love dearly! She was the Grandmother of my Dad! She was a "mail order" bride - an orphan of the Civil War - but, those are for later stories. Her "mail order" husband brought her on the train to Weiser, Idaho where they got acquainted, wed and then he "whisked" her in a wagon to Rye Valley, Oregon where they ranched successfully until around 1920. She died 8 August 1923 in Union, Union, Oregon.
Jennie had 2 boys and 2 girls.
Leora Ruth Rollins Griggs was born 29 August 1899 in Rye Valley, Oregon. She was the youngest of 4 children. I grew up visiting her every summer and learned a lot about cooking.I got to live with her my Freshman Year of college on the ranch she and Grandpa Rex had in La Grande, Oregon. I spent many hours sitting next to her in the living room, looking at her box of pictures and hearing about growing up in Rye Valley - how she loved it!

Today I am thinking of this dear valentine she made her Mama and wanted to share it!
This heart of violets sweet and meek
Recalls to me that I should seek
A maiden's heart thats just as fine
And call it my dear valentine.
To Dear Mama from Ruth. Happy Day - Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment