Sunday, February 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Harriet Ann Krythe Gill

Harriet Ann Krythe Gill (b 21 Feb 1921 d 2005) Thomas Steffen Gill (b 1 Aug 1944) Robert Steffen Gill (b 2 Sept 1917 d 29 Aug 1981)

As this birthday of Mom Gill comes to a close I just wanted to wish a "Happy Birthday" to a dear friend - the Mom of my husband and Grandmother of my children

A favorite story of mine - we lived in Milwaukee the first 3 years of our marriage. I was introduced to "dark woodwork" when I moved to the Midwest. The houses I had lived in growing up had the woodwork painted.

Mom's beautiful home was full of "dark" stained and varnished woodwork.

I had mentioned to Tom (probably more than just mentioned) how I felt about "dark" woodwork - I didn't really like it (probably still wouldn't choose it).

So - one evening just a month or so after we were married Tom shared my feelings with his Mom.

Tom was a lot taller than Mom - but she stood there - almost looking him in the face - and told him in a VERY serious voice that he was to NEVER criticize me in front of her again.

I loved her before - but that was truly a bonding moment for me!!!

Mom always loved me for who I was. Her kitchen was the place that I could go and just talk and talk and she would listen and listen.

She collected Turtles. And she raised "African Violets". They were always beautiful. And because she always had beautiful African Violets when we would send her flowers - I would send African Violets.

But - her 7th grandchild let me in on a "little" secret when she was here visiting in November! I'm thinking it was her mother - Laura Krythe - who gave Mom Gill African Violets and felt that Mom should raise them. If not her mother it would have been Aunt Bea!

Mom didn't always take super good care of them - so, if she knew her mother was coming, she would just go out and buy new ones to replace the ones that were looking a little peaked!

Love that story!!

So - it's late - so many memories in my head - but I need to go to bed (that's a rhyme).

I'm hoping this would be the place that you could add yours. Memories like taking a little boy fishing, serving up strawberry shortcake for a granddaughters wedding, helping another granddaughter dress in the Temple for her wedding day, watching babies walk around and around the oak table in the dining room, so curious about medical procedures that she stayed awake during her amputations, having her grandson take her in her wheelchair around her apartment building to help take care of others there. Always finding the VERY best in each person.

The last time I got to visit her it was with my husband and "my three sons". Our middle son figured out a way to get her in our rented van and we were off. We went to East Troy to see where they had lived so many years ago. She shared stories - we laughed - we went to a fish fry on that visit!

Thank you Mom - Thanks for being you and for loving me. Karen

Happy Birthday !!

1 comment:

  1. We enjoyed watching the slide show last night - Jason noticed Grandma's beautiful smile in every picture and when I thought of it, I don't ever remember seeing her without a smile! Also loved telling the kids about a trip to the shoestore with her to pick out whatever I wanted (white with red stripes) and my first time through an automated car wash was with her! We were both laughing so hard at all those crazy muppet-brushes! Trying to surprise you with a spiffy clean station wagon!

    ReplyDelete